Oscar-winning actress, Cate Blanchett has warned about the consequences of tech billionaire Elon Musk’s Twitter takeover.
The World’s richest man, 50, acquired the social media giant in a $44b deal and has pledged to boost the platform so it can fulfill its potential as the world’s ‘digital town square’
‘It’s dangerous,’ Blanchett, 52, told Variety of Musk’s Twitter acquisition while attending the Chaplin Award Gala in New York City.
Blanchett isn’t the only Hollywood star to criticise Musk’s takeover, Jameela Jamil threatened to abandon Twitter in protest.
The Good Life actress tweeted on Monday that Musk’s ‘free speech’ promise would lead to ‘lawless hate, bigotry and misogyny’ on the platform.
Pledging never to tweet again, Jamil added: ‘Ah he got Twitter. I would like this to be my what lies here as my last tweet.’
Actress-turned-activist Mia Farrow also tweeted: ‘Well if Twitter becomes even more toxic… it will be taken less seriously, and people like me will quit – for peace of mind.’
British television host Phillip Schofield said on Wednesday he’d deleted the Twitter app from his phone because he wanted ‘no part of it’ in his life – although his account remains active.
The This Morning presenter called the platform ‘a cesspit’ of ‘vile, disgusting’ trolls.
Star Trek actor George Takei also voiced his concerns about Musk’s takeover, but has so far refused to quit the platform on moral grounds.
‘I’m not going anywhere. Should this place become more toxic, I pledge to strive even harder to lift up reason, science, compassion and the rule of law. The struggle against fascism, misinformation, and hate requires tough fighters,’ Takei tweeted.