Pursuing the overthrow of Ali Bongo, who had been President of Gabon contemplating that 2009, discussions on Africa’s longest-serving Presidents and Heads of Level out have arrive to the fore.
Ali Bongo’s father, Omar Bongo Ondimba, skilled dominated Gabon from 1967 until his dying in 2009, a complete of 42 a very long time. His son, Ali Bongo, then immediately took above the reins of electrical energy and ran the nation till lastly his new overthrow.
Africa has been residence to among the longest-serving leaders, who on their lack of life, have been succeeded by their kids.
Their longevity in electrical energy, in practically all eventualities, has not led to progress within the nation. They merely entrench by themselves in electrical energy and fleece the strategies of their nations world wide.
Within the case of Gabon, the prolonged reign of the Bongos launched no tangible outcomes in phrases of progress to the individuals. Pretty as the traditional populace turned poorer, the Bongos and a bit of elite grew to change into filthy wealthy.
Beneath is an inventory of a few of Africa’s longest-serving leaders except for the ousted Bongo dynasty of Gabon:
- Togolese President Faure Essozimna Gnassingbé – 2005 to day (18 many years) Succeeded his father, Gnassingbé Eyadéma who dominated the nation from 1967 proper up till his dying in 2005 (38a very long time). The family has dominated Togo for 56 years.
- Equatorial Guinean President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo – 1979 to day (44 many years)
- Cameroonian President Paul Biya – 1982 to day (41 yrs).
- Congolese President Denis Sassou Nguesso- 1979 to 1992 and 1997 to day ( 39a very long time as President)
- Ugandan President, Yoweri Museveni – 1986 to day (37 many years)
- Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki – 1993 to day (30 a very long time)
- Rwanda President Paul Kagame – 2000 to day (23 many years)
A few of these extensive-serving Presidents are unwell and never in a position to govern however rely on their clique of sycophants to run the state additional extra down the drain. President Paul Biya of Cameroon is an excellent instance of unfit leaders who cling to skill. He’s reportedly unable to make any conclusions due to to previous age and infirmity however stays President.