Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday condemned the terrorist attack in Niger Republic that resulted in the killing of 70 persons.
The President expressed shock over the killing that happened in Zaroumdareye, a border town between Niger Republic and Mali, using the opportunity to call for stronger security ties among African countries.
Buhari’s reaction was contained in a statement in Abuja by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu where he noted that Africa must unite to confront the criminally minded persons and their supporters.
According to the statement, Buhari said:
“I am profoundly shocked by the large scale death of innocent people at the hands of these callous militants who have no regard for the sanctity of human life.”
He added that,
“We are facing grave security challenges on account of the evil campaign of indiscriminate violence by terrorists in the Sahel and only united action can help us defeat these vicious enemies of humanity,” further noting that “terrorism has now become like a contagion of evil that can spread anytime if united action is not taken.”
President Buhari said that “instability in one part of Africa had implications for the security of others.”
“The looting of Libyan armouries in the aftermath of Gaddafi’s fall has put dangerous weapons into the hands of terrorists and other criminals who now pose security challenges to other countries,” the President added.
“We are united by common fate and therefore we must act in concert to defeat these evil men who target innocent people.
Meanwhile, Press Imformant previously reported that military authorities in Nigeria have confirmed the killing of several Boko Haram terrorists in a fresh airstrike by troops of the Operation Lafiya Dole.
The airstrike killed several Boko Haram elements in their hideout located at Kote Kura, Bulama Isamari in Borno State, Coordinator Defence Media Operations, Major-General John Enenche confirmed to Naija News in a statement on Sunday, 3rd January, 2021.